14.12.11

Explanatory Note

*rough notes*

In 1860, I was approached by Mr. Charles Dickens who expressed his desire to tell the story of how I became a Zombie Slayer. At the time {why Pip did not want the story told - too painful, perhaps, or - I felt that the story of one slayer was not more important than that of other slayers...} but Mr. Dickens was persistent and after much discussion agreed that the story of my rise held a message regardless of whether I had become a Slayer or a Politician.

I agreed to allow myself to be interviewed and my story to be written with two provisos - I was to have complete control of the content and the eleven years I spent abroad were not to be covered. 

When Mr. Dickens agreed to tell my story, it was with the proviso that he not include my years abroad.  The events that took place during this period, and indeed my purpose for journeying to {the ends of the earth, the uncivilized world..}  {What's a name for a "quest" to find one's self?}  were personal and private in nature.

In fact, as he penned his original epistle, it was decided that all references to zombies be removed.  This was, at the time, primarily due to the {personal nature} of the events and the heartache of memory they had for me.

I stipulated in my will that the full story not be told until 150 years {what's a good Victorian way to say "a Century and a half?  Like "four score and seven years ago...}

*At the end of Book 2, Pip returns to England and has 20 years until 1860...  He and Estella leave for {     } and are never heard from again.  This will be in the Epilogue.

I do not know if my wishes have been followed, but if you are reading this, it is my fervent hope that the {cause of} Zombies has been eradicated, that the dead walk no more, and that my part in all of this is but a footnote in the annals of history.


dimitte mortuos requiescere
P.P, London, 1865

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home